As I said in my new year goals of 2022 (see later), reading twelve books this year is one of them on that list. To initiate that I have started with the book “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho.
Why did I choose this book? When I had a thought to build a reading habit, I started searching on google about “books for beginners”. Most of the blogs and YouTubers referred to this book (3 out of 5 pages/channels) and after my experience with this book it turns out to be a true statement. I have completed the book in 12 days, written in easily understandable language and I’d recommend my readers to kick start with this book if you want to build a reading habit.
"When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."
Plot: An Andalusian shepherd named Santiago has a dream to travel from his homeland to Egypt in search of a treasure, whether he fulfilled his dream or not.
My takeaways from the book are
- “Success is not destiny, it’s a journey” -the value of his journey does not lie in the treasure, but in the knowledge and experience he gains from the journey itself. Likewise in our life there are no such things as destiny, this is just a journey of experience which we should enjoy everyday.
- The treasure that we are searching everywhere, but we find it on our doorstep.
My favorite lines from “The Alchemist “
- “When you possess great treasures within you and try to tell others, seldom are you believed.”
- “I don’t live in either my past or my future. I’m interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you’ll be a happy man. Life will be a party for you, a grand festival because life is the moment we’re living now”
- “It is the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.”
- “There is only one way to learn… It’s through action. Everything you need to know you have learned through your journey.”
- “Maktub” (It is already written)